Having doubts?

We were asked a couple of times: the union reps are saying one thing, I read another thing on this website, how do I know who is telling the truth?

That is a very good question and anyone can find the answer by calling the PERB (Public Employment Relations Board) The PERB is a California state agency whose mission is (from their webiste):

“The Public Employment Relations Board (PERB or Board) is a quasi-judicial administrative agency charged with administering the collective bargaining statutes covering employees of California’s public schools, colleges, and universities, employees of the State of California, employees of California local public agencies (cities, counties and special districts), trial court employees andsupervisory employees of the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority.”

In other words they know what the applicable labor laws are concerning UC postdoc unionization and they are a neutral and impartial body.

The regional director is Anita Martinez, you can find her phone number here: http://www.perb.ca.gov/contact/PhoneDir_SF.aspx

You can call her (usually her phone is switched off but if you leave a name and phone number on her voice mail she will get back to you) and ask her about all the labor law related questions you might have. You can specifically ask about:

  1. confirmation of decertification process as detailed under the decertification section
  2. confirmation that the labor union could decide to collect fees and dues from members only (but UAW chooses to charge everybody, even non-members, around $300-400 annually)
  3. confirmation about the history of UAW at UC in 2006
  4. any other topic related to postdoc unionization at UC

Once you collected the impartial and neutral information from a California state agency you can decide for yourself who you believe, the UAW or the information you read here.

Posted in Uncategorized. Comments Off on Having doubts?
%d bloggers like this: